Posted on February 12, 2018
There’s an old saying, “Kids don’t come with instruction books,” and sadly – it’s true. So, for all the parents who feel lost when it comes to providing the best orthodontic care for your kids, use this as a guide.
1) The moment your child gets his first tooth is the moment you should schedule an appointment with a dentist. Doing this sets the stage for your child to feel comfortable around dentists and orthodontists. Not to mention, we can provide a heads up when it comes to how your child’s teeth are coming in.
2) Visiting an Orthodontist early – at age 7 – can sometimes provide early care that can prevent or lessen the time your child needs braces later in life Not to mention avoid more extensive procedures like extractions and surgery! The American Association of Orthodontists’ Age 7 recommendation may be surprising to some parents. But at this age, baby teeth are being replaced by permanent teeth and it’s a great time to start checking for potential orthodontic issues.
The question is: how do you know if your child, who’s teeth may seem straight as an arrow, needs to see an Orthodontist? Simply put, your child should see an orthodontist, even if they don’t seem to have any problems with their teeth.
1) Your child lost their baby teeth early
2) Your child lost their baby teeth late
3) Your child sometimes has difficulty chewing or biting into food (not their sibling)
4) Your child is or was a thumb sucker or finger sucker
5) Some of your child’s teeth seem a bit crowded or misplaced
6) Your child’s jaw shifts and makes sounds
7) Your child often bites their cheek or the roof of their mouth
8) Your child’s teeth meet abnormally or not at all
9) Your child’s teeth are out of proportion to the rest of their face, either too large or too small
If you answered yes to one or more of the statements above, consider reaching out to an Orthodontist for an evaluation.
At Hudson Orthodontics, we offer a FREE Kid’s Club specially created for kids ages 7 & up. Our Kid’s Club, called “Surfer Smiles” provides the following benefits to kids and parents:
Call us at (703) 451-4666 to enroll your child today.
Moral of this story: What you can fix now, will make tomorrow a lot easier to fix. And a lot less expensive.
braces orthodontist | centreville braces | centreville orthodontist | fairfax braces | fairfax orthodontist | invisalign | invisalign teen | orthodontic treatment | orthodontics | orthodontist | springfield braces | springfield orthodontist