What to Expect when Getting Braces at Hudson Orthodontics in Springfield
Posted on March 22, 2018
After putting on braces for more years than I care to remember, I can tell you one thing that never changes with my patients – fear of the unknown. As a teenager – and even as an adult – getting braces can feel overwhelming and frightening. You may have a million thoughts cross your mind like: What will it feel like? Will it hurt? How long will it take to get them on?
First, take a deep breath. I’m going to put your mind at ease and answer some of these common questions for you. After all, straightening your smile is going to be one of the most rewarding things you’ll do for yourself! And there’s no need for any fear.
I hope these tips help you as much as they’ve helped numerous others.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU GET YOUR BRACES PUT ON:
- First, we’ll take impressions to get an in-depth view of your mouth. We have adopted a Fully Digital system in our office, so there will never be a need for those uncomfortable Impressions that you may have heard of. In fact, our digital scanning and 3-D Printer technology is faster, more accurate, and more comfortable than dental impressions. As a result, your treatment will be faster and better than ever before!
- I will then map out a treatment plan to accomplish your smile goals and we’ll decide together which treatment option works best for you: metal braces, clear braces or Invisalign
- You can get braces the SAME day as your consult so we can get started on your new smile RIGHT AWAY!
- It’s NOT going to hurt – your mouth may be a little sore afterwards as your teeth adjust to the braces.
- It usually takes about an hour – that’s only two cartoons
- First, we’ll clean and dry your teeth
- Next, we apply bonding glue and attach the brackets to your teeth
- Finally, archwire will go between your brackets to connect everything together and rubber bands will secure it all in place.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU GET HOME:
- Make soft foods your best friend at least for the first few days as your teeth adjust– soups, mac n’ cheese, frozen yogurt, milkshakes, applesauce, bananas – you get the idea
- Feeling a little soreness is normal
(Take a pain reliever like ibuprofen or acetaminophen – sometimes even Orajel® can help. If you’re unsure or have any problems, call us. We have a team member on call 7 days a week!)
- Always keep a container of orthodontic wax
(As your lips and cheeks get used to braces, you may want to apply some orthodontic wax to brackets that cause any irritation. Don’t worry this is only temporary!)
- If your lips and gums feel sore, create a rinse of warm salt water
(How to make the rinse: 1/2 tsp of salt per cup of water swished around in your mouth several times a day will ease the irritation and speed up healing.)
Now, let’s put on a brave face because you’re about to get a smile that will give you confidence for decades to come. If you have any questions, before, during or after getting your braces, never hesitate to contact us anytime.
Ready to come see us for your complimentary braces or Invisalign consultation? Click here to schedule now!
braces orthodontist | centreville braces | centreville orthodontist | fairfax braces | fairfax orthodontist | invisalign | invisalign teen | orthodontic treatment | orthodontics | orthodontist | springfield braces | springfield orthodontist